The goal of this project is to implement a tool allowing non-engineer users to build and design their own soft devices by developing tools for designing and controlling soft manipulators. The project has two main objectives: (1) the implementation of methods to identify the best design of soft growing robot to solve a pre-defined task, by means of artificial intelligence techniques; and (2) the manufacture of real soft growing robots based on the design retrieved by the optimization.
Applicants must also apply to one of the following:
- Kadir Has M.S. School of Graduate Studies – Engineering and Natural Science
- Kadir Has Ph.D. program under Computer Engineering or Electrical and Electronic Engineering (applications must be submitted between July 4th and August 15th, 2022)
- Bilgi University M.S. School of Graduate Studies – Electrical and Electronics Engineering/Computer Science
Applicants must have:
- earned, or be about to earn, a B.Sc. and M.Sc. degree or equivalent in software/computer engineering, electronics engineering, mechanical engineering, mechatronics engineering, or another relevant discipline;
- a strong background in robotics, real-time coding, system modelling and simulation;
- excellent mathematical and coding skills (specifically in C/C++, MATLAB);
- a strong background in artificial intelligence and search methods, in particular multi-objective optimization methods (e.g., Genetic Algorithms);
- excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
- enthusiasm for leading-edge research, a team spirit, and independent problem-solving skills;
- expertise on hands on system development or handcrafting is a plus for the applicant.
Tasks will include:
- in depth study of the soft robotics state-of-the-art,
- design and implementation of soft robotics devices,
- manufacturing of working prototypes,
- design of control systems,
- design and implementation of multi-objective optimization based on evolutionary algorithms,
- design and implementation of motion planning for soft robot manipulators,
- integration with real robotic systems,
- design and conduction of experiments,
- interpreting statistical data and creating tables and graphics,
- leading a group of undergraduate students,
- participating in periodic meeting (conducted in English),
- writing state-of-the-art research articles for peer-reviewed conferences and journals,
- participating in the qualitative analysis process and writing reports and deliverables.
The research will be conducted at Kadir Has University and Bilgi University, Istanbul.
If interested, please send your CV by August 1st, 2022, to:
- firstname.lastname@example.org, or
Please apply only by email in English, emails in Turkish will be discarded.
Shortlisted candidates will receive an email to set up an interview.